We all need a bit of relaxation every now and then, especially over the festive period where we are busy dashing about Christmas shopping or partying the night away!
A relaxing spa day is often a nice thought but take the cost, travel and time into account and it’s not always the most convenient option.
The perfect place to start is at home with a nice hot bath so we’ve put together a few top tips of how to turn your bathroom into a ‘spa’ room including some home-made treatments.
Nothing sets the tone quite like mood lighting. So turn down the lights, light a few candles and place around your bathroom, particularly around the tub. Then use an aromatherapy burner and indulge your senses with one of these stress relieving scents:
- Lavender: Known for its relaxation and healing abilities, the scent of Lavender can help achieve a state of serenity by reducing the heart rate and blood pressure. It is also traditionally used for aiding sleep.
- Ylang Ylang: Native to Indonesia and the Philippines, Ylang Ylang is uplifting for mind and body and can help calm both the nerves and the heart.
- Frankincense: With its comforting, warm, exotic aroma, Frankincense has been used since biblical times for stress relief.
Fill the room with your favourite sound. Whether its classical, jazz, spa or even whale song, when it comes to music it’s pretty much down to personal taste. Listening to music can have a tremendously relaxing effect on our minds and bodies. Slow paced, easy to follow music is great for slowing the pulse and heart rate, lowering blood pressure and decreasing stress levels.
Bring the spa to you and indulge in some essential oils great for nourishing the skin and boosting your mood. Here are some of our favourites:
- Cinnamon: The smell of Christmas itself! A few drops of cinnamon essential oil in your bath can help relieve stress, boost your mood and generally make you feel more positive. Plus the steam from the bath will help it to distribute.
- Tangerine: A fantastic scent to help relieve anxiety and perfect for making a homemade body scrub. Combine equal parts of sugar and olive oil with two drops of tangerine oil.
- Ginger: Known for its anti -inflammatory properties ginger is great for reliving aches and pains and can improve circulation.
- Sweet basil: A great remedy for stress and headaches. This refreshing oil is perfect for focusing your thoughts.
- Jasmine sambac: Rejuvenating, sensual and up lifting. This oil is perfect for relaxing the body and stimulating the senses (plus it’s a renowned aphrodisiac)!
Did you know…
You can even find things in your store cupboard that you might find in a spa. For example, sea salt, which can be bought in any supermarket is used in many traditional skin scrubs and can draw impurities from the body and help clear skin. For a real penny saver, Baking Soda can provide relief for irritated skin and help clear stubborn and prevalent blemishes.
We’ve tried a few of these tips ourselves and we hope we’ve given you some new ideas of how to turn your bathroom into a spa room.
Let us know if you try any of these tips or if you have your own top tips then please feel free to share them on our Facebook page.
The Beyond Bathrooms team